Monday, October 1, 2012

I Witness. I Swear. I Do Delcare!

Everyday, I witness us [women] being unfriendly with one another.

I swear I'm not willing to accept this.

So I hereby declare: HELP ME TO HELP US TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Before we can tackle our social and economic issues, as women, we must renew, pronounce, and practice our love for one another--a coming together love-fest.

Why do I say this?

For Example:
For years, I've been conducting my own undercover experiment--no one knows I'm doing it except me. As I encounter and make eye-to-eye with [individual] black women, either walking, driving, etc., I smile and say hello or nod in the affirmative. I might get one smile back and/or one "Hi" or "Hello" out of every 10 women I encounter. Some of them look perplexed as to why I am smiling or speaking to them before actually smiling/greeting me. A few immediately burst into smiling, enthusiastically responding "Hi. How are you?" Most do not smile or greet me back at all. And some even roll their eyes.

Last week, I parked my car near downtown Chicago and rode the bus the remainder of the way. When I got on the bus, I said in a moderate pleasant tone: "Good morning, everybody." No one said a word. Instead, most of them looked at me as though I was an escaped mental patient. It made me laugh. Then I scrutinized the inquisitive faces sizing me up and asked aloud: "Are you all really not going to say good morning to me?" They really thought I was crazy then. I guess[ed] their respective assumption was understandable because I was laughing--truly tickled by the fact that [those] people thought I was "special" because I not only greeted them, but asked them if they were going to greet me back. Mind you: These were all African-American women--young, middle-aged, and seniors.

After taking a seat, the lady I sat next to asked: "How are you this morning?"

Still tickled, I replied: "I'm blessed. But I am amazed at how unfriendly we are with one another."

Before her next statement, the lady studied me pensively as to gauge whether or not I was truly crazy. She stated: "I'm sorry for not acknowledging your greeting when you got on the bus. But you know how it is out here: People are crazy. You never know where they're coming from..." We went on to have a pleasant conversation about us.

When I got off the bus, a young lady--approximately 18-20 years old--got off behind me and said: "Hey, Miss. I didn't think you were crazy. I just thought it was unusual for someone to speak to everybody. Thank you. You made my day."

These experiences serve as a barometer as to how much avocation has to be done to improve our relations with each other.

Another Example:
While exiting Walmart one recent Saturday, A young boy [age 10/12 years old] standing outside the store holding a box of M&M's candy asked me if I wanted to buy some candy for his team fundraiser. Of course I bought 5 packs. But while I was digging in my pocket, he asked a couple more black women, and both of them rudely dismissed him. I paid him and rushed to catch-up with them. I explained to them that that little boy belongs to us and as mothers, etc., we have a responsibility to support him. They listened, agreed, and walked back to buy some candy. One asked me how much it cost. I said: "$1.00 per pack." They each bought 2 packs. I was proud of them--and so was the little boy.

We're going to have to get this "I love you. You're my sister/my children" thing right.

Love, Saishe! Holla-back. Leave a comment please--good, bad, or indifferent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time and interest--pro or con.